Any inquiry into the life and times of Buffalo Bill on the Great Plains must include:
• Cody, William F., The Life of Hon. William F. Cody, Known as Buffalo Bill. Edited by Frank Christianson. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2011.
• Davies, Henry E., Ten Days on the Plains. Edited by Paul Andrew Hutton. [New York: Crocker & Co., 1871] Dallas: Southern Methodist University Press, 1985.
• Hedren, Paul L., First Scalp for Custer: The Skirmish at Warbonnet Creek, Nebraska, July 17, 1876: With a Short History of the Warbonnet Battlefield. Lincoln, University of Nebraska Press, 1980.
• Kasson, Joy S., Buffalo Bill's Wild West: Celebrity, Memory, and Popular History. New York: Hill and Wang, 2000.
• Russell, Don, The Lives and Legends of Buffalo Bill. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1960.
• Sagala, Sandra K., Buffalo Bill on Stage.Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 2008.
• Warren, Louis S., Buffalo Bill's America: William Cody and the Wild West Show. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2005.
• Wetmore, Helen Cody, Last of the Great Scouts: the Life Story of Col. William F. Cody “Buffalo Bill.” Duluth and Chicago: The Duluth Press Publishing Co/The Lakeside Press, R. R. Donnelly and Sons, 1899. [Republished as, Last of the Great Scouts (Buffalo Bill), by Helen Cody Wetmore and Zane Grey, NY: Grosset & Dunlap, 1918.
• Yost, Nellie Snyder Buffalo Bill: His Family, Friends, Fame, Failures, and Fortunes. Chicago: Sage Books, 1979.